electrical safety

Monitoring Electrical Hazards in the Home

One thing that is considered most unattractive about the after effects of electrical hazards is the curse of damaged electrical appliances.

The unmistakable odor of burning insulation ends with a huge pop of blowing a fuse. Not only have you lost the electricity connection but the desired appliance is gone too.

This incident relates to the dangerous electrical hazards experienced by homeowners.

Taking the power source of your house for granted is one of the biggest mistakes that we make. We rely on electricity so much that it has become one of the pillars of metropolitan society.

Take a look at some of the household electricity hazards and how they can be avoided.

Electrical Corrosion and poor wiring

When the electrical panel or electrical connections begin to deteriorate and rust, it means that there is electrical corrosion in your home.

Wiring around the house should always be in tip-top condition. If the electrical connections are not in a good condition then electricity will not flow properly.

This will not only block the electric flow but it will put you at a risk for electric shock or fire. Damaged or corroded electrical wires increase the chance of electrical hazards so it is advisable to prevent the corrosion in the first place.

Cause: Moisture is usually the main factor leading to electrical corrosion. A ventilation problem or a leak in your home exposes the wiring to moisture.

Moisture causes the copper wiring to oxidize which leads to the formation of a green film on the copper wiring.

Safety Tips

Keep water out. Moisture is the main source of electrical corrosion.

The best way to keep the moisture away from wiring is to look out for any damage in pipes, cracks or leaks in your walls and foundation.

Get professional help. Poor wiring leads to serious consequences like power surges or fire which can be fatal.

It is necessary to ask a professional electrician to perform electrical wiring around the house for safety reasons.

Contacts and Sources

  • Energy Australia. Home Services and support for power and gas.
  • GKT Group. A Newcastle based electrical company with commercial and domestic expertise.
  • AusGrid. Residential Safety Standards and Guidelines.

Electric shocks

The severity of the shock depends on the path, amount of current and duration of the current passing through your body. The most common shock-related injury is the burn. In severe circumstances, an electric shock may result in an individual’s death.

Cause: Exposed electrical outlets and overloaded circuits are the main causes of electrical shocks.

Safety Tips

  • It is best to put safety plugs over all electrical outlets in order to prevent electrical shock
  • Do not touch any electrical appliance with wet hands
  • Avoid plugging too many devices into a circuit.
  • Use socket plugs to avoid electrical shock.

Extension Cords

Extension cords can be used temporarily but they are no substitute for permanent wiring as they deteriorate over time

About four thousand injuries every year are associated with electric extension cords. These include fractures, lacerations, and sprains.

Safety Tips

  • In order to prevent tripping over extension cords, keep them away from doors or walkways
  • Avoid using an extension cord for more than one appliance.
  • Do not use a cord that is damaged in any way.

The best way to steer clear of all the electrical hazards at your home is by regular inspection. Avoid doing any electrical work all by yourself.

In order to resolve electrical hazards, consult a licensed electrician.